This is a sponsored post and compensation was provided by Hornitos® via Mode Media
I’ve been working with Hornitos® for the past couple of months using their products to create some original recipes. For Halloween, we enjoyed the Black Goblin, a cocktail with Hornitos® Black Barrel Tequila, coffee liqueur, and cream that is a fun update to the White Russian and something that is really perfect all year round. I went a bit off the beaten path for Thanksgiving when they suggested we include tequila in a favorite recipe and this French Silk Pie with a Mexican Twist took inspiration from a Mexican Hot Chocolate and included the same tequila along with just a touch of cayenne pepper. You have to try this pie to get how totally amazing it is; all of the same rich chocolate flavor and texture of my favorite pie but with just enough heat to elicit surprise and leave a slight tickle. So perfect.
For the upcoming holiday season we were challenged to make something unique for the holiday using the Hornitos® Spiced Honey and it was specifically requested that our recipe not be another take on a margarita. Truth is…I’m always looking for a new take on a margarita so while I had pomegranate and persimmons dancing in my head, I settled down, gave it some thought and came up with something so different and so good I know we’ll be trying this Spiced Honey Tequila Sangria again.
Hornitos® Spiced Honey Tequila features 100% blue agave Hornitos Plata Tequila infused with natural honey flavor and a special spice blend that serves up a touch of floral honey, vanilla and a lingering spice finish. The warm, spicy and caramel notes of honey paired with a spice blend provide balance to the citrusy, peppery and earthy notes found in tequila. Matching those notes with some citrus, apple and a nice, balanced red wine resulted in an absolutely wonderful sangria that is the perfect holiday cocktail. Not only does the combination of ingredients taste divine together, the fact that everything can be mixed the day before and refrigerated until you’re ready to serve is a real plus for your party planning efforts.
I wanted to add just a touch of holiday festivity to the look of this cocktail so I rimmed the glass with two kinds of sanding sugar; using both regular and gold. If you’re not familiar with sanding sugar, it’s basically a larger crystal sugar typically used for cake decorating that I’ve found is perfect for rimming cocktails. I’ll often mix it with some kosher salt for my margaritas as I much prefer the combination of sweet and salty on my glass. If you’ve not tried it before, maybe it’s time; it’s a really lovely touch. While I’m sure you can find a resource online I’ve also found a nice assortment in different colors at my local craft store in the baking aisle.
I know it’s unique but I’ve come to trust tequila in coffee, hot chocolate and white wine. The more I use it for something other than a margarita the more fun it is to discover how widely varied cocktails with tequila can be. Take this one for a spin, I promise you won’t regret it and from me to you…Happy Holidays!
Hornitos Spiced Honey Tequila Sangria
- 1 bottle of red wine (I used Pinot Noir but any dry red wine you prefer will do)
- 1 cup of Hornitos Spiced Honey Tequila
- 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed juice
- 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar (depending on how sweet your wine is; add brown sugar to taste)
- 1 orange, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 apple, cored,cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 lime, cut in half and sliced thin
- Sanding sugar (Available at craft stores in the cake decorating aisle. I used regular and gold, mixed in equal proportions)
- Additional orange, apple and lime slices, quartered
- Mix wine, tequila, lime juice and orange juice. Stir until thoroughly combined and the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the orange, lime and apple slices; mix thoroughly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until well chilled (I let mine chill overnight).
- To serve, rub the rim of each glass with a lime quarter then dip the rim in sanding sugar. Fill the glasses with ice and pour mixture into glasses. Garnish with slices of orange, apple and lime.
Hornitos® Tequila doesn’t settle for the status quo but believes in taking experiences to the next level with 100% agave tequila. Learn more about what makes us not just any tequila at www.hornitostequila.com and follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Hornitos