Luckily butternut squash has a long life in the market; I just picked some up this past week and had to share this Pecan and Parmesan Roasted Butternut Squash dish. I literally ate it for dinner; who needs a main course anyhow?
This recipe could not be easier. It’s a few ingredients mixed together and roasted and then the last few minutes both chopped pecans and Parmesan cheese are added and slightly warmed. What made it the easiest for me? I bought the squash from Costco already cubed and when I removed it from the package to conjure up something new, I spied a recipe on the inside of the top lid.
This recipe. Yes, thank you Costco! So unexpected, both in the discovery and even more in how much I loved this simple preparation. No, this is not a sponsored post but I love Costco and if any of you have an in there I would sure love to work with them to develop recipes. Or make ones already developed. 😉
I’ve actually already made it twice. I had good intentions the first time around to get photos but sometimes things get in the way. Like my tendency to try ‘just one more bite.’ Just one more bite turned into several and by the time the sun had cleared from behind the clouds; my stash was almost gone. Oops. But hey, means I HAD to do it again and this time I’m sharing it with you!
I also shared a bit with my neighbor Amy who lives across the street; you know, the friend I share a dog with too (or at least she let’s him come visit me often!). See that beautiful gold/yellow dish in the background of the top photo? You know you have good friends when they text you from Goodwill with a find you might like for your food photography; thanks Amy it had to be the right time and place and today was that day!
I realize the squash in this Pecan and Parmesan Roasted Butternut Squash is considered fall squash but I just bought this the other day so the product is still out there. I think I would also love it with carrots; they have a similar flavor profile with that hint of sweetness so once butternut squash disappears from the shelves, I’ll go the carrot route. I know my friends would love this at a backyard barbecue this summer, roasted on the grill. I’m not kidding, maybe the easiest and best squash dish EVER. Now off to finish off what little is left before someone else finds it…bye!
Pecan and Parmesan Roasted Butternut Squash
An easy and delicious recipe for roasted butternut squash.
- 6 cups butternut squash
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 dashes black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves, loosely packed
- 1/2 stick butter (4 Tbsp), melted
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, toss the squash with the garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley until well mixed.
- Pour the melted butter over the mixture and toss gently.
- Spread the mixture into a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes or until just turning light brown and the flesh is tender and soft.
- Turn off the heat, remove the squash mixture from the oven and top with both the Parmesan cheese and the toasted pecans. Return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
You could serve this straight from the baking sheet but I chose to scoop it into an oven safe bowl before topping with the pecans and Parmesan...prettier for serving at the table.