Posted by Creative Culinaryhttps://www.creative-culinary.com/wood-butter-helps-renew-wood-utensils-and-bowls/
© 2011 Creative Culinary | A Denver, Colorado Food and Cocktail Blog. All rights reserved.
Wood Butter – A Recipe for Your Utensils!
A terrific homemade product to use for all of your wood kitchen products from wooden spoons to cutting boards.
ounces pure beeswax - measured dry. One package of the pellets that I purchased weighed 16 ounces and I used half a package at a time.
ounces of mineral oil - typically packaged with 16 liquid ounces per container so I used 2 containers.
- Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a gentle boil.
- Place your beeswax inside a 2 quart glass measuring cup or a 1 quart glass jar; set the glass into the gently boiling water.
- Place the container(s) of mineral oil inside another medium saucepan filled with water and heat to low.The mineral oil just needs to be warmed to mix with the beeswax; no need for a rolling boil.
- Once all the wax has melted, turn off the stove and carefully add the warmed mineral oil to the beeswax;stirring with a spoon to combine.
- Using a towel around the handle of the measuring cup, carefully pour the liquid into each jar fit with the canning funnel;filling them almost to the top.
- Finish filling all jars and wait for to cool and firm up before using.