Have you heard? The Broncos are headed to the playoffs for the AFC Championship this weekend! They’re playing the New England Patriots; proud owners of the ‘deflategate’ drama so I say, look out for anything boys! I don’t typically plan my Sundays around the game but I’ve usually got it on and this season I’ve seen more than most. I’m usually busy doing something in the kitchen but on playoff days? I try to invest myself more fully; after all, my orange cat is named after Peyton Manning…it would not do to miss him at this critical time would it? If I’m planning to be more invested, than I might have some friends over too and this Warm and Spicy Spinach Dip will most certainly be on the menu!
Oh the years I avoided spinach dip. When I think of all of the foods I would not touch for years into my adulthood because they had such bad memories from childhood it’s sad. Avocado, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli and Spinach rank right up there. I’m trying to make up for it now; though I must admit…I still want my spinach either raw in a salad or if cooked, smothered in a goopy sauce. Which is really what this dip is. With some water chestnuts to boot! I know this dip has transformed from whatever I started with years ago but I brought those water chestnuts into the mix from a different recipe; I really like the bit of crunch they add to an otherwise creamy dip. You could call them optional but I wouldn’t; they really do add some flavor and bite that is important. When I say Spicy; it’s really pretty mild as written just to make sure everyone can enjoy it. Want some more heat? Add more hot sauce to satisfy your taste but be careful; just a bit at a time. Once you shake in half the bottle, you can’t take it back!
I’ll be back Friday with an Orange Crush Cocktail; anything to support my team. You can support my team too, OK? See you Sunday!
Is your team playing this weekend? No? Well Broncos country would be happy to have you join us. Did you know that the Broncos are the most liked team in the land? I read that recently; more people across the country like them better than any other team. Let’s hope that countrywide love turns into another win. I so want Peyton to go on to the Super Bowl. My cat will be watching. 🙂
Warm and Spicy Spinach Dip
- 1 pound spinach, cleaned, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can water chestnuts. coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 4 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Sriracha (use more if you want a spicier dip)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Baguette slices, breadsticks, or crackers, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large skillet, saute the spinach until wilted, about 6-8 minutes. Drain spinach in a colander and squeeze with some paper towels to remove water; set aside.
- Using same skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and saute until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the milk and warm it over high heat; whisk in the cream cheese and stir til combined. arm milk over high heat. Add Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce and stir to combine.
- Combine the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Add one cup to the mixture in the skillet and stir until combined.
- Add the spinach and water chestnuts and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper
- Put the mixture into a lightly oiled and shallow 1.5 quart dish (I used two smaller ramekins) and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot with crackers or toasted baguette slices.