Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/upside-down-pear-crunch-coffee-cake/
© 2012 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Upside Pear Crunch Coffee Cake
An upside down pear coffee cake with a brown sugar and cinnamon topping.
For the Crunch:
- 1 1/2 cups demerara sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp butter
For the Coffee Cake:
- 2 large Pears, cored and sliced into 1/2 " slices with skin on
- 4 oz. unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
To Make the Topping:
- Work all ingredients together with a food processor, spatula or your fingers and set aside.
To Make the Coffee Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees convection. (Without a convection oven, baking will take longer).
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a spatula or in a mixer with paddle attachment.
- Add the eggs and combine to mix thoroughly.
- Add the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract and mix into butter and egg mixture thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients just to combine.
- Spray the inside of two loaf pans with vegetable oil or rub lightly with butter.
- Sprinkle half of the topping mixture divided between 2 loaf pans. Divide the pear slices lined down each loaf pan on top of the Crunch layer. Divide Coffee Cake batter over the pears in each pan. Finally, divide the rest of the Crunch over the batter in each pan. Bake for 30 minutes until cake is set.
- Cool completely, this takes awhile, be patient. Then invert cake upside down when cool, slice and serve.
The recipe I received called for 30 minutes using a convection oven. I'm lucky to have one and because I'm at altitude I increased my temp to 350 degrees. We had to bake this coffee cake for an additional 20 minutes at least so I've indicated a bit longer baking time but please be sure to test with a toothpick; it should come out clean after inserting into the center of the cake.