Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/twice-baked-jalapeno-sweet-potatoes/
© 2015 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Jalapeno and a Streusel Topping
1 hr 50 mins
A spiced up version of a time honored favorite; perfect as a holiday side dish.
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno, chopped into fine dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 Tbsp half and half
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
For the Streusel Topping
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder (or cayenne but the chipotle adds such a great smokiness)
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
To Prepare the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rub sweet potatoes with vegetable oil and pierce all over with a fork. Wrap in foil and place in preheated oven..
- Bake until tender when pierced with a fork; 55-60 minutes.Remove from the oven and allow to cool until they can be handled.
- Meanwhile, put butter and olive oil in skillet and heat until butter is melted. Add diced onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add the diced jalapeno and garlic and saute for 3-4 additional minutes on medium low heat until the onions start to turn golden.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Gently scoop out the flesh and add to the onion and jalapeno mixture in the skillet.
- Add the maple syrup, half and half, beaten egg and salt.
- Using a wire whisk, whisk until the potatoes are smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 2-4 buttered serving dishes depending on volume.
To Make the Streusel Topping:
- Add all ingredients except nuts to processor and blend til smooth, Add nuts and pulse just to mix.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the sweet potatoes in the dish; bake until topping starts to brown and mixture is bubbling, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve in the dish or scoop onto plates for smaller servings.