Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/the-best-limoncello-is-homemade-limoncello/
© 2012 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
The Best Limoncello is Homemade Limoncello!
It's such fun to make your own Limoncello!
- 12 organic lemons
- 1.75 liter bottle of 100-proof vodka, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- Wash the lemons well with soapy water, rinse and dry.
- Remove the yellow part of the lemon peel with a sharp peeler being careful to avoid any of bitter white pith. If any pith remains on the back of a strip of peel, scrape it off with a sharp knife.
- Put the yellow peels in a jar or bottle, add half of the vodka and seal tightly. Leave the bottle to steep until the peels lose their color, at least 2 weeks.
- Combine one cup of the water all of the sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium high just until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add one cup of ice cold water and let the mixture completely cool.
- Strain the vodka from the peels. I strain mine by wrapping some cheesecloth under a metal strainer and pouring through both; that will remove the large peels and any smaller particles. Once strained, add the remaining vodka and the syrup.
- Put the liqueur in bottles, seal tightly and store for at least 1 week before using.
- For drinking straight, store the Limoncello in the freezer.
Prep time does not include the time required to age the finished product.