Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/texas-bourbon-punch-with-pink-grapefruit-and-mint/
© 2014 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Texas Bourbon Punch With Pink Grapefruit and Mint
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 15 fresh mint sprigs, divided use
- 4 cups freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, strained
- 2 & 1/2 cups Garrison Brothers Texas Straight bourbon whiskey (or other premium bourbon)
- 12 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 ice block (for punchbowl)
- Club soda
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Combine water and sugar in small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and bring to boil. Add five mint sprigs. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- Strain syrup into a large pitcher. Add grapefruit juice, bourbon and bitters and 10 mint sprigs.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Add ice block to bowl.
- Pour grapefruit and bourbon mixture over ice through a strainer.
- Fill glasses with ice and fill approximately 3/4 full with bourbon and juice mixture; top with chilled soda and stir.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
The recipe calls for a block of ice. A what? I can not remember the last time I saw a block of ice!
So, I filled a bowl with ice cubes and poured a mixture of soda and grapefruit juide over them and put them in the freezer. By the time the juice had chilled I had my own 'ice bowl!' I put it in a large pan with warm water and within a minute or two was able to remove the ice from the bowl in one piece.
Flip it over and put it in a punch bowl and there you have it!