I love this drink from Starbucks Signature Line of Hot Chocolates; for those who love the combination of sweet and salty; this is one drink to try.
The hot chocolate is smooth, creamy, thicker than a lot of hot chocolates and very rich; it’s really best served with Fleur De Sel salt; using regular table salt will not create the same flavor expectation!
Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
- 1/4 cup bittersweet good quality cocoa (Hershey's European Dark)
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup half and half or milk - substitute 1% for a lower fat version
- 1/2 cup heavy cream - No substitute!
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (Use vanilla sugar for even more great flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Turbinado sugar
- Whipped Cream
- 1/8 teaspoon Fleur De Sel
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce
- Whisk cocoa, half and half, heavy cream, and 2 tablesoons sugar in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Add bittersweet chocolate and heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until sugar has disolved and chocolate has melted. Heat mixture until hot and just under boiling. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Heat caramel syrup in microwave to warm. Swirl about 2 tablespoons of warmed caramel in mug. Reserve remaining caramel to drizzle on top. Pour hot chocolate into mug. Top with whipped cream, drizzle with caramel sauce, sprinkle with fleur de sel, and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.