This Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade Cocktail is so easy to make, tastes delicious plus it’s beautiful to boot; perfect for summer!
The path to this Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade Cocktail was serendipity. My daughter Emily was in town this past week and I took some time off on Tuesday to join her and her husband Chris for lunch in historic downtown Castle Rock.
She chose Sienna, a restaurant in old Castle Rock and we lucked out; we had a wonderful lunch. As we were reading menus the waiter mentioned the special of the day; a prime rib sandwich with grilled onions and Gorgonzola cheese. Yes please…for all three of us!
We also ordered some crispy fried calamari that really was perfect, the meat was tender, the coating was crispy and not greasy and the accompanying red chili lemongrass vinaigrette was light with a sweet and spicy taste. It was very reminiscent of the Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce that I keep on hand in my fridge.
I don’t typically order a cocktail with lunch but when Emily ordered a Blueberry Lemonade Cocktail, it sounded so good that I was quick to follow suit. It was served in a martini glass and I have to say that sadly it was the only disappointment of the day.
While they did garnish the drink with some blueberries, the ‘blueberry’ part of this cocktail was simply Pinnacle’s Blueberry Vodka; a clear, flavored vodka. Not exactly what I expected…and combined with a lackluster lemonade it was just OK.
Trust me, I’m always happy to have a moment to get out and have someone else prepare food and drink for me, so I appreciated the company and enjoyed it…but thought I could do better!
The Simplicity of Good Ingredients
- Fresh blueberries for a blueberry simple syrup
- Good vodka (I like Grey Goose)
- Lemonade made from only lemons and sugar, no artificial ingredients
- Fresh lemon and mint and blueberries for garnish
By George I think I’ve done it with this Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade Cocktail! I upped the ante on everything too, combining blueberry simple syrup with lemonade and vodka and a splash of club soda for some fizz.
While I will often juice lemons or limes for a couple of cocktails, this time around I made it even easier, using lemonade concentrate. I wanted a cocktail that is made in quantity for summer events and the lemonade was easy and good too. Win-win!
Remembering the days when I would die trying to get a restaurant to provide me with a recipe; now I’m thinking the tables have been reversed. This was fantastic and I think they need me to share!
Too bad Emily and Chris couldn’t circle back around here for one of these; it would have been fun for all of us to compare. I already know what I’ll be making for our 4th of July picnic…it’s perfect and so perfectly delicious!
PIN ‘Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade Cocktail’
For the Blueberry Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
For the Lemonade:
- 1 12 oz can lemonade concentrate
- 30 oz cold water
- 10 oz ice
To Make the Cocktail:
- 2 Tbsp Blueberry Syrup
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 3 oz lemonade
- 1 oz sparkling water
- Lemon slices, blueberries and mint sprigs for garnish
To Make the Simple Syrup:
- Combine water, blueberries and sugar in a pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer; lightly pressing the solids and then discard them; refrigerate until cool.
To Make the Lemonade:
- Combine the lemonade concentrate, water, and ice in a tall pitcher and stir thoroughly until ice has melted.
To Prepare the Cocktail:
- Pour the blueberry syrup in the bottom of a tall glass, top with ice, add the vodka, then lemonade and top with club soda.
- Either stir before adding garnish or serve with the layers and a straw for guests to stir
- Garnish with fresh blueberries, lemon slices, and mint sprigs.
You can serve this in a lowball glass that is large enough for the volume or serve it in a highball glass.