Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/smoked-gouda-bacon-macaroni-and-cheese/
© 2014 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
Rich and flavorful with smoked Gouda, caramelized onions and bacon, this macaroni and cheese is cooked on the stove-top and finished with a flavorful bread crumb topping.
- 16oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 lb smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
For the Crumb Topping
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 4-6 slices bacon crumbled (about 1/2 cup after cooking)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
- In large oven safe pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Saute chopped onions until translucent and just starting to brown..
- Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour; whisking until mixed with butter and onion. Cook on medium heat for one minute.
- Combine milk, cream and broth in a large measuring cup and add all at one time to mixture in pan. Whisk over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture will thicken considerably.
- Add salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cheeses to the pan and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture and stir to combine; reduce heat and cook on low for 5 minutes for everything to meld together and get hot. Smooth top.
- Combine panko bread crumbs, melted butter, bacon and Parmesan cheese together and mix well. Sprinkle over the top of the noodle casserole and broil the dish until the top is just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- NOTE: You can prepare ahead of time; reserving the topping. Heat on the stovetop, cover with the topping and broil immediately before serving.