Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/sicilian-chocolate-gelato-bourbon-chocolate-chips/
© 2012 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Sicilian Chocolate Gelato with Bourbon and Chocolate Chips
Sicilian gelato is light and refreshing yet with good ingredients it's also a very satisfyingly rich dessert.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- In medium saucepan bring 2 cups of the milk to a simmer.
- Combine the sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch into a bowl and whisk in the remaining cup of milk and half and half.
- Scrape the cocoa mixture into the hot milk. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and bubbles a little at the edges.
- Stir and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in the bourbon with a whisk.
- Pour the mixture into a clean bowl and cover the surface of the mixture with plastic wrap. Chill without stirring until very cold to the touch. (I put mine into the freezer for about 45 minutes to speed it up a bit).
- Freeze according to the instructions with your ice cream maker. Because the mixture is thick to begin with it may take less time than average in your ice cream maker.
- Add chocolate chips and just mix in.
- Put mixture into container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can make an icy granita or fudge pops with the same recipe.