Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/short-rib-caramelized-onion-and-vermont-cheddar-sandwich-from-the-tap-room-street-food-menu-at-the-omni-hotel/
© 2013 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Short Ribs - Street Food from the Omni Hotel
3 hrs 15 mins
A fabulous combination of tender short rib meat, caramelized onions, white cheddar cheese and fresh arugula; altogether a great sandwich.
- 2.5 lbs Short Rib
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 1/2 large Onion, diced
- 1 stalk of Celery, diced
- 3/8 cup Red Wine
- 1/4 cup Beef Stock
- 2 Tbsp Sherry
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Thyme Sprig
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 8 thick slices bread (I used Texas Toast but the original recipe calls for Brioche)
- 2 oz. Butter
- 4 slices Vermont Cheddar
- 2 oz. Arugula
To Make the Short Ribs:
- Sprinkle Short Ribs with Salt & Pepper.
- Melt butter in braising pan, add Short Ribs and brown all sides.
- Remove Short Ribs and add carrots, onions and celery to the pan.
- De-glaze the pan with red wine and sherry.
- Add beef stock, garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Short Ribs back to the pan. Cover and cook on low for approximately 2 – 2.5 hours until tender.
- Uncover & let cool for 30 minutes.
- Cut meat into 1/4 in. slices, trimming excess fat.
To Assemble the Sandwich:
- Melt butter in skillet and add onions, sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Sauté onions until golden brown, add sugar and stir til melted.
- Assemble 8 slices of buttered bread.
- Place one slice of cheese, ½ cup of short rib meat, ¼ cup of caramelized onions and a handful or arugula on each sandwich.
- Heat griddle and cook sandwiches until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to work surface to cut in half, serve immediately.
Finding good short ribs is always a problem for me. I found these at a local specialty shop so paid a premium and even then should have been more careful about what I was given. If given the option? Only get larger ribs with a greater percentage of meat to bone. I had a couple that so little meat that by the time they cooked, it was almost all bone; not what I expect for $8/lb!
I've found since buying that meat that some Costco stores carry short ribs; I'm checking them out for the next time!