These Roasted Carrots with Honey, Rosemary and Thyme are almost too easy to be so delicious. Quick roasting in the oven and then finished with a honey and herb dressing and they’re done. And fantastic!
One thing I’ve learned after many years of preparing holiday dinners is that some of the dishes served need to be super easy. It took me awhile; there was a time when every single dish had to be something that was spectacular enough to require a fair amount of effort to get it to the table. No more. I can’t wait to share what has become my favorite preparation for this root vegetable.
Maybe it’s because I actually love the star of our meal, this Maple Roasted Turkey with Bacon and Cornbread Dressing that I posted yesterday. I’ve come to realize that sides can indeed be simple and simple does not mean lacking. These Roasted Carrots with Honey, Rosemary and Thyme are simple to make but absolutely delicious and I love the boost of color they bring to the plate; turkey and stuffing are a bit dull and color on the plate changes everything!
Making them even easier are the fact that they can be cleaned and prepped into pieces the day before, require only minutes in the oven and once finished, can actually be served at room temperature. I say make them early and forget them. I love the color and fresh flavor they add to the plate and every single year I find myself wondering why I don’t make double the recipe since they disappear too quickly. The little girls up the street were here last night and I fixed them a plate for dinner; no one whined about having to finish their carrots…doesn’t that say everything?
Dressed with a vinaigrette that is slightly sweet but with a nice tang from the mustard, they are simply the perfect accompaniment to any meal, whether it’s your family chicken during the year or your spread on Thanksgiving. Mine are all gone…really, why don’t I make 5 pounds of these EVERY year?!!
PIN ‘Roasted Carrots with Honey, Rosemary and Thyme’
Roasted Carrots with Honey, Rosemary and Thyme
For the Carrots
- 2 lbs carrots, cleaned
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the Dressing
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Whole Grain Mustard Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Fresh Thyme, (leaves removed from stem and minced)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary, (leaves removed from stem and minced)
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Cut the carrots into 2 to 3-inch pieces and then cut the small ends in half and quarter the larger end pieces. Spread them out onto a sheet pan. Toss the carrots with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, tossing them once or twice, until the carrots are tender and brown along the edges. Remove from the pan and put into a serving dish.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Taste and correct seasoning if necessary. Pour the vinaigrette over the carrots; toss slightly and serve.
- Best served warm or at room temperature.