Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/red-lentil-soup-with-curry/
© 2012 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Red Lentil Soup with Ham and Curry
A tasty and easy soup using a crockpot for cooking.
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- 3-4 stalk of celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- 2 tsp curry powder (I used Penzeys Spices Sweet Curry)
- 1 bag of red lentils, rinsed
- 1 ham bone
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Garnish with yogurt and crispy ham or bacon bits.
- Heat olive oil in large pot and saute celery, onion and carrots until onion is translucent.
- Add the curry powder and continue to saute for 2-3 more minutes.
- Place ham bone and lentils in pot.
- Add chicken stock to pot. Add water if necessary to make sure bone is covered. Stir all ingredients. Simmer for 30-45 minutes until lentils are softened.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt and some crispy ham or bacon bits.
If using a crockpot, saute vegetables and curry in a pan. Put ham bone, sauteed vegetables, lentils, stock and curry into the crockpot and cook on low overnight.