I’ve been making the regular version of lemon bars for years but these just looked gorgeous so had to try them. We loved this version too!
Raspberry Lemon Bars
1 hr 5 mins
If you love lemon bars AND raspberries then you will love this dessert!
For the Crust
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick, plus one tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
For the Filling
- 1/2 cups superfine sugar (or regular granulated)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 3 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 2/3 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of frozen raspberries, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream butter, sugar, and salt with an electric mixer. Mix in flour until just incorporated.
- Flour hands and press dough into 8×8 square baking pan, so that it comes up about a 1/2 inch around the sides.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until slightly golden brown. While it cools, prepare the filling.
To Prepare Filling:
- Whisk sugar, egg whites, egg, lemon juice and zest, flour, and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour raspberries into a sieve and press through to extract all the pulp and juices.
- Whisk into lemon mixture and pour into crust.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until filling is completely set. Let cool completely.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar
Thanks to SophistiMom for both the recipe and the photo; all good intentions went up in smoke with the combination of people waiting for dessert and a battery that died right before trying to take a quick pic (yes, I now have a spare!).