My second installment of Whatever Wednesday and I already love this…just cooking and a few photos and sharing a great simple recipe from the archives of my first food website! This dish is normally made with red or fingerling potatoes but I had purple potatoes delivered in my CSA box and that’s my update for this dish from 1995.
As unique as they are; mashing them scared me. I’m not sure why but I thought that a roasted potato from this color wheel would be unique but more palatable than mashed spuds. Adding some rosemary and onion not only elevated the look of the finished dish but the flavor was elevated too and they tasted amazing. I don’t care what potato you roast; something about herbs and roasted onions seem to fit all of them.
Really, tell me – how often are potatoes so gorgeous? The purple potatoes with some fresh herbs filled my kitchen with a delightful aroma and were both a beautiful addition to our plate and our palate. Full disclosure? I do love purple; it’s my favorite color!
Purple Potatoes with Rosemary and Caramelized Onions
- 2 lbs potatoes, purple, fingerling, red or yukon gold, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the potatoes, onions and garlic in a large roasting pan or baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix to coat.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes; test potatoes with a fork for doneness; remove or continue to cook in 5 minute increments until potatoes can be easily punctured with a fork.
- Taste, season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
If you have a large enough grill you can also make these outside. Simply heat one side of the grill and put the pan of potatoes on the other side that is not over the heat. Follow directions as above although often takes longer due to heat fluctuations on a grill.
It’s a PARTY!!
My baby is gonna be ONE YEAR OLD!! Friday, September 14th I’ll be celebrating one year of The Friday Cocktail.
Stop by for food, drink and friends with a LOT of recipes. Oh yeah…lots of prizes too!