Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/pina-colada-cupcakes-rum-buttercream-frosting/
© 2016 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Pina Colada Cupcakes with Rum Buttercream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
For Rum Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 2-4 tablespoons half and half
- 1/4 cup Toasted coconut
- Grilled Pineapple chunks
- Maraschino Cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk and rum. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Stir in coconut and almonds. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks. .
Prepare Rum Buttercream Frosting:
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until it’s light and fluffy. Then add in the sugar 1 cup at time and beat until fully incorporated, making sure to scrape down the bowl between each cup.
- Add the rum and enough half and half until preferred consistency is achieved. and generously spread the frosting onto tops of cupcakes. Sprinkle edges with toasted coconut. Garnish with grilled pineapple chunk and maraschino cherry.