These Peanut Butter and Butterscotch Haystacks are a family tradition and I can’t imagine the holidays without them. So simple. SO good!
Holidays and food are so firmly entrenched with each other that things we never think about during the rest of the year start to make their way to the surface of conscious thought this time of year and often bring back delicious memories. These Peanut Butter and Butterscotch Haystacks might be simple but I’ve always loved them and they are a regular in our holiday plate of sweet treats.
I have honestly never thought to share them on this blog; assuming you and everyone you know has had them and/or made them and certainly has a recipe from way back. So I was surprised when I mentioned to a friend that I was making them and she didn’t know what they were. Even more surprised when a neighbor came to borrow some sugar and I sent him home with some and again, he had never heard of them. WHOA!!! Really? Well I aim to right that wrong!
There is nothing fancy or time consuming or difficult here…and that’s probably a big part of their appeal. But there is smooth peanut butter combined with some sweet butterscotch baking chips that are poured over salty peanuts and chow mein noodles that give the treat structure, texture and just the perfect blend of salty, creamy and crunchy. I make mine big…none of that teaspoon business for me; I recognize I’m going to eat more than one so I just put three together and call it good.
Have you ever had these Peanut Butter and Butterscotch Haystacks? I’ve seen and made them with semi-sweet chocolate too but for some reason it’s the butterscotch ones I love the most. Still if you love chocolate and peanut butter…I say go for it! Lots of recipes don’t call for the peanut butter but it’s been our tradition for years and well, why not right? Peanut butter makes everything better…or at least it does these delicious crunchy bites.
Easy, tasty and fun…I need more treats like this during the holidays don’t you? Unless you eat them all in one sitting so fair warning; it could happen! 🙂
PIN ‘Peanut Butter and Butterscotch Haystacks’
Peanut Butter and Butterscotch Haystacks
- 2 cups Butterscotch Morsels (I prefer Ghirardelli; no artificial flavorings)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 10 oz chow mein noodles
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- Line cookie sheets with parchment or wax paper.
- Put the morsels into a double boiler and heat over medium hot but not boiling water. When the morsels begin to melt; stir them occasionally until completely melted and smooth. Turn the heat to low and stir in the peanut butter until well blended.
- Combine the chow mein noodles and peanuts in a large bowl and pour the butterscotch/peanut butter mixture over them and stir until all the ingredients are well coated.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until set. Can be stored at room temp during the winter; during the summer might require refrigeration.
The mixture can also be melted in the Microwave.
Microwave morsels in large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; stir. The morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted. Proceed as per recipe directions.
Want more goodies? I've also added mini marshmallows on occasion but had none on hand. If you would like them, add a cup to a cup and a half to the mix along with the chow mein noodles and peanuts.