Combining warm brie with fruit and encasing it in prepared puff pastry is one of my favorite appetizers, plus it’s a breeze to make!
Pastry Wrapped Brie with Raspberries
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- 1 13.2-ounce Baby Brie cheese (about 6 to 7 inches in diameter)
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend (for glaze)
- Serve with crackers or baguette slices and grapes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stir preserves, berries and rosemary in small bowl to blend. Season berry mixture with pepper.
- Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 12-inch square.
- Cut rind off cheese; discard rind. Place cheese in center of pastry.
- Spoon raspberry mixture onto cheese. Fold pastry on 2 opposite sides over cheese.
- Brush remaining 2 sides of pastry with glaze. Fold over cheese; press seams to seal.
- Brush pastry with glaze; place on baking sheet. Bake cheese until pastry is deep golden brown (top of pastry may split open), about 30 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Place baked cheese on serving platter. Surround with crackers, baguette slices, and grapes.
I have found it works best to make this dish in a serving plate that is oven proof; the brie always escapes from the pastry and I would rather not have to leave some of it on a baking tray. I use a mini pie plate that I bake and serve it in. The top will typically open up and cheese will melt out; for a cleaner presentation, roll pastry around Brie and seal on the bottom...one is neater, one more rustic, depends on your taste.