Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/mushroom-walnut-pate-appetizer/
© 2018 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Mushroom and Walnut Pâté Appetizer
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (about 6-7 min in 350 degree oven; let cool)4 Tbsp butter (divided)4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, cleaned and chopped into medium pieces, reserve 3-4 button mushrooms for garnish
- 6 green onions, sliced in 1/4" slices
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Dash Tabasco sauce
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- Hard boiled Eggs, chopped (optional)
- Sauteed Mushrooms (optional)
- Parsley, Chopped
- In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, add three tablespoons of butter to the olive oil and heat until melted.
- Add the mushrooms, green onions, and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has been released and skillet becomes almost dry, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, and sherry and cook until skillet is almost dry, about 10 minutes more. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Combine mushroom mixture with reserved walnuts, parsley, lemon juice, Tabasco, and cream cheese in a blender and pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mixture into a shallow plate or bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet and cook halved mushrooms just until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pate from the refrigerator and top with the sauteed mushrooms and chopped parsley. Offer chopped hard boiled egg as an alternative.
- Serve cool or at room temperature with toasted baquette slices, or any plain cracker.