Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/meringue-ghost-cookies/
© 2017 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Meringue Ghost Cookies for Halloween
2 hrs 20 mins
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract Powder (optional)
- 1 cup superfine sugar (I just put regular sugar in my processor for a minute to get it finer
- Mini Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites on low-medium speed until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and vanilla extract powder and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat on medium-high speed until the meringue holds very stiff peaks.
- Pipe meringues in a ghost shape using a large piping tip or snip the end of a ziploc bag.
- Add two chocolate chips to the top part for eyes and if desired, a larger one for a mouth (optional).
- Bake the meringues for 2 hours, rotating the baking sheet from front to back about half way through to ensure even baking.
- They should not be brown but crisp on the outside. Cool completely.
The single biggest issue for success with meringue is to start with super clean beaters and bowl. ANY touch of fat on either will doom them and you will have blobs, not ghosts!