Maple Walnut Pumpkin Pie
I fear I will create a bit of shock with this recipe. No Bourbon. None..no booze anywhere to be found! I didn’t set out to have an all Bourbon Thanksgiving but it seems I’ve got a fair number of dishes that call for either Bourbon or my other favorite, red wine. It is not a prerequisite to the dishes I prepare, contrary to the reputation I’ve built for myself so here I present a pie; different from the normal pumpkin pie, yes…but perfect for teetotalers too!
Constantly on the hunt to re-define what I think are boring pumpkin pies, I love this variation I’ve been making for years, it is so different. A graham cracker crust with chopped walnuts, maple syrup in the filling and then a crumb topping with more walnuts. When I’m not going nuts for Bourbon seems lately I’m going simply nuts; California Walnuts (in honor of my tweep Sarah @CAWalnuts) in fact!
Addendum: Whoa…I’ve been given a tongue lashing from my friends on Twitter who I guess DO expect me to produce boozy desserts. Well, this one is so good without, I won’t be changing the pie ingredients but for those of you who want this pie with that indulgence, how about Bourbon or Brandy whipped cream? Just add a couple of teaspoons to taste to your normal recipe for whipped cream and yes, it would be amazing with this pie!
Maple Walnut Pumpkin Pie
1 hr 15 mins
For the Graham Cracker/Walnut Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter
For the Filling
- 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin
- 1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Walnut Topping
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in processor; pulse til crumbly. Stir in nuts.
To Make the Crust:
- Melt the butter.
- Place approximately 12 graham crackers in a plastic bag. Roll with rolling pin until finely crushed or pulse in your processor.
- Measure 3/4 cup of graham cracker crumbs with chopped walnuts.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar to the graham cracker/walnut mixture.
- Add the melted butter.
- Stir or blend together with your hands.
- Press into pie plate.
- Bake the pie crust for 8 minutes in 350 degree oven.
- Remove from oven; cool before filling.After graham cracker crust is removed from oven, increase oven temp to 425 degrees.
To Make the Pie Filling:
- Combine pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, maple syrup, ginger, nutmeg and salt; mix well.
- Pour into cooled pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 30 more minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and top with the walnut crumb mixture. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Garnish with sweetened whipped cream.