Mandarin Orange Salad is one of my favorite green salads. The combination of oranges and candied almonds is fantastic!
I’ve been making this salad for over 20 years now; it’s included in one of the first cookbooks I was given when we moved to Denver called Creme de Colorado; published by The Junior League of Denver. The original recipe calls for a mixture of romaine and iceberg lettuces but I’ve always used spinach and think it’s perfect.
I have to admit, I sort of thought the whole world knew about Mandarin Orange Salad until a friend mentioned she had never heard of it. Don’t let that happen to you. The combination of ingredients just works and it’s finished with a light, delicious dressing…hope you’ll try it and love it too.
Mandarin Orange Salad
A beautiful salad year round with mandarin oranges, candied almonds and a tangy dressing.
- 1/3 C sliced almonds
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 1 C chopped celery
- 2 whole green onions, chopped
- 1-11 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
For the Dressing
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- In a small pan over medium heat, cook almonds and sugar stirring constantly until almonds are coated and sugar is melted. Watch carefully as they will burn easily. Cool and store in an air-tight container.
- Mix all dressing ingredients and chill.
- Mix spinach, celery, and green onions. Just before serving, add almonds and oranges. Toss with dressing.