Try something really unique with this Lemon Ricotta Pizza with Herbs and Honey. It’s savory and sweet and tangy all at one time. A great appetizer or even dessert course; in our house we just called it dinner!
Someone I follow on Twitter commented on a pizza they had just had at a restaurant and my interest was piqued by the sound of lemon, onion, herb and ricotta toppings and finished with a lavender honey glaze. I can’t say I would normally try to recreate a dish I had never tried but I also thought, why not?
I asked for details and she gave me a list of ingredients that I used as an inspiration to create this dish. I loved the unique combination of ingredients and moved forward with my blind leap of faith to try my hand at doing one myself.
The toppings on her restaurant version listed caramelized onions and I would have typically included those as well, however, I was out of onions last night but had everything else so my photo and first attempt are minus those. Promise, the next attempt will most certainly see them included with balsamic vinegar added to the caramelization process. I also decided to add toasted pine nuts to the mix as they seem well within keeping with the other ingredients; am I alone in thinking this is crying out to be called Tuscan Lemon Pizza!
Seems perfect for a light lunch, afternoon tea or for me…I did this as dinner with a salad and the perfect wine pairing. Depending on the amount of honey used, I think this dish lends itself well to either an appetizer or a more savory dessert course.
In any event, it’s a unique and beautiful take on pizza!
Lemon Ricotta Pizza with Herbs and Honey
A totally unique pizza with lemons, lavender and honey.
For the Lavender Honey
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp lavender
For the Pizza Dough: Make your own or use pre-made. Mine came from Whole Foods and was perfect but some pizza places will also sell you fresh dough
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 lemons; VERY thinly sliced, rind included; cut each slice into half. (I did not do this but now recommend it!)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil; additional for brushing cookware surface if necessary
- 1 medium onion
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 -3 Tbsp fresh sage, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp pine nuts
To Make the Lavender Honey:
- Mix lavender and honey in small saucepan; gently heat while preparing pizza to allow the honey to be infused with lavender flavor.
To Make the Pizza:
- Heat oven to 400.
- Cook onion in olive oil til soft and starting to brown. Add balsamic vinegar and cook another minute or two.
- Brush oil olive in round or rectangular pan or use pizza stone.
- Spread pizza to edge of pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes in oven.
- Spread 1 cup of ricotta cheese over top of dough.
- Spread caramelized onion over ricotta.
- Evenly place lemon slices over cheese and onions.
- Sprinkle rosemary, sage and pine nuts over pizza.
- Dollop remaining ricotta cheese over entire pizza.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are brown; cut into serving pieces
- Remove honey from heat and pour into small pitcher. Serve pizza and pass the honey to drizzle on top.