This dish combines some simple but favorite ingredients together. I will substitute broccoli or peas if on hand to make a satisfying easy dinner.
Lemon Pasta with Roasted Asparagus
- 10 asparagus stalks, ends snapped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 12 oz fettuccine
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup plus
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp minced chives
- 1 Tbsp minced mint
- Wash and dry asparagus. Place stalks in a baking pan large enough to hold them in one layer, and gently rub them with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over the asparagus and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the stalks. when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a generous amount of salted boiling water, cook the fettuccine until al dente. Drain, place in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Pour wine into a large skillet or pan. Add shallots. Reduce over medium heat to one half. Wash lemons well with soap and water, rinse and dry.
- Add grated rind and juice from 2 lemons to the wine. Simmer 2 minutes. Add cream. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and add 1/3 cup cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper. Simmer slowly, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Cut cold butter into small pieces and add to the sauce, cooking 1 minute. Add asparagus, pasta and 2 tablespoons cheese. Toss until pasta is thoroughly coated with sauce and heated through. Divide pasta evenly in heated plates or soup bowls.
- Sprinkle with grated peel from remaining lemon, chives and mint.