Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/key-lime-pie-whipped-cream-lime-zest/
© 2018 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Key Lime Pie with Whipped Cream and Lime Zest
For the crust
- 11 (2 1/4x4 3/4") graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp key lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (or regular lime juice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the topping
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Lime zest
Make the crust
- Place rack in the center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Pulse graham crackers, sugar, and salt in a food processor until fine crumbs form. With the motor running, drizzle in melted butter and process until well-combined. Transfer mixture to pie pan and press into bottom and up sides with a flat-bottomed measuring cup.
- Bake crust until golden brown and set, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
Make the Filling
- Whisk condensed milk and yolks together in a large bowl. Add lime and lemon juices and whisk until well-combined (mixture will thicken slightly).
- Pour filling into crust and bake until center is just set, about 15 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool completely (filling will set as it cools), about 1 hour. Transfer to refrigerator and chill until cold, at least 1 hour.
Make the Whipped Cream
- When ready to serve, whip cream with a whisk or electric mixer to very soft peaks. Sprinkle powdered sugar over cream and continue whipping until it holds stiff peaks. Dollop or pipe whipped cream around edges and garnish with lime zest.
Pie (without whipped cream topping) can be made, loosely covered, and chilled for up to 2 days.