Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/japanese-curry/
© 2013 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
2 hrs 20 mins
- 1.5 lb meat cubed (pork, beef or chicken)
- 1 large or 2 small onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- Vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1-2 tsp salt to taste
For the Curry roux
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 8 Tbsp Flour
- 2.5 Tbsp curry spices
- Dice potatoes, carrot, and meat. Slice onions.
- Sauté onions, carrots, pork and garlic.
- Add broth, let it simmer for 1 hour until the meat is tender.
- Skim the broth, add potatoes.
To make the roux:
- In different pan, heat the oil over low heat; add the flour and cook until brown.
- Remove from heat and add the curry spices.
- You can find pre-made roux at Asian stores, but this is easy.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth to this mixture and stir; it should be like a paste.
- Adding 1/4 cup at a time, stir the curry roux into the meat and vegetable mixture. Add salt, let it simmer for 30 min or until it thickens.
- Serve over Japanese short style white rice.