Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/inside-out-grilled-cheese-with-tomato/
© 2015 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Inside Out Grilled Cheese with Tomato
- 6 slices bread
- Butter to spread on bread
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar, Monterey jack and Parmesan in equal quantities)
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Warm your skillet or griddle on high heat.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of cheese mixture in 3 areas on the griddle; top each area with a slice of the bread, buttered side down.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture on each slice of bread and top with the sliced tomatoes.
- Place the 2nd slice of bread on top. If using a skillet DO NOT sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the bread. Grill until the bottom is browned. Remove the sandwiches to a plate, sprinkle 2 Tbsp of the cheese on pan or griddle and then flip the sandwiches over onto the cheese. Grill until the bottom is brown; remove to a platter, cut in half diagonally and serve.
If using a Panini press:
- After putting the 2nd piece of bread on top, buttered side up; sprinkle 2 more Tbsp of cheese on top of the buttered bread and close the unit until the cheese and bread are browned and the inside cheese has melted. Don't really 'press' it, just close it enough that both sides can get browned.