Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/how-to-make-cajeta-goat-milk-caramel/
© 2013 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Dulce de Leche or Cajeta (Goat Milk) Caramel
1 hr 5 mins
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 quarts goat milk or cow milk or a combination of both
- 3 cups cane sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp vanilla paste (or vanilla)
- 1/4 cup rum (optional)
- Dissolve cornstarch and baking soda in 1 cup of the milk in a large pot; stirring to dissolve lumps.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat to low and cook until mixture is the consistency of caramel sauce; stirring with regularity;approximately 50-60 minutes. (I did not stand over a pot for hours when I cooked triple this recipe but I did make a point to stir it about every 15 minutes).
- Pour into container(s); will keep in fridge for several weeks.
Be careful to not let the mixture get too hot; it will both boil over and will start to burn on the bottom of the pot. Low and slow is the way to go!!