Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/hot-cabbage-and-cheese-sandwich-for-recipe-swap/
© 2011 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Hot Slaw, Bacon and Cheese Sandwich for #Recipe Swap
1 hr 5 mins
Perfect for a party; this is an easy and tasty sandwich.
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 head of cabbage - I've used a half head each of regular and red cabbage
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces of sliced sharp cheddar but I would also use a white cheddar or Swiss cheese for this too
- Brown bacon in large skillet and remove it to paper towels once crisp; leaving the bacon dripping in the skillet.
- Put shredded cabbage, sliced onion and balsamic vinegar into same skilled with bacon drippings and cook over low heat til wilted and caramelized; approximately 20-25 minutes. Add minced garlic and cooked bacon to skillet and cook all together for 5 minutes.
- Preheat over to 300 degrees.
- Slice French bread in half. Pile the mixture on the bottom half.
- Add slices of cheese over top of bread and place 2nd piece of bread on top.
- Wrap completely in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes until cheese is melted. Slice and serve.