Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/hot-and-spicy-schoolyard-shrimp/
© 2013 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Hot and Spicy Schoolyard Shrimp
- 1/2 pound shrimp
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp shrimp paste ( Any brand you like)
- 1 tsp chilli garlic paste ( any brand you like)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 3 tbs corn starch
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tbs thinly sliced Thai chiles
- 1 – 2 sprigs of fresh curry leaves ( Kadi patt )
- Oil for frying
- Peel and devein the shrimp. Wash, drain and then pat dry.
- Take a medium size bowl and add in turmeric, lemon juice, salt, shrimp paste, chilli garlic paste, ginger paste,coriander, cumin, soy sauce, black pepper.
- Stir to mix it all and now add in the shrimp. Stir and mix until the shrimp is well coated.
- Let the shrimp sit in this marinade for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil for frying and while it is heating, add in the corn starch into the shrimp.
- Mix to coat the shrimp well.
- When the oil is hot ( about 350*F), start frying the shrimp a few at a time, taking care not to over crowd.
- Fry them up for a few minutes until the coating turns brown and the shrimp curls up.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the shrimp.
- Once all the shrimp is fried, take a separate pan, add in a Tsp of the oil from the frying into the pan.
- Add in the garlic, cook until just fragrant. Add in the curry leaves and the green chillies.
- Be careful at this stage, as the curry leaves spatter.
- Stir to mix and add in the fried shrimp along with the rice vinegar.
- Cook for a minute, until the vinegar mixes in and dries out.
- Serve hot.
In the event you don't have the shrimp paste, make it without.
Substitute red chilli powder/cayenne plus freshly chopped garlic for the chilli garlic paste.
You can also pan fry the shrimp instead of deep frying it.
The use of curry leaves is highly recommended, but this does taste great without them as well.