Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/homemade-vanilla-eggnog-with-bourbon/
© 2015 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Homemade Vanilla Eggnog with Bourbon
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean (split & scraped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 oz bourbon (or to taste)
- Bring the milk, half and half, cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean and nutmeg just to a boil in a medium saucepan on low heat.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl until pale yellow in color and fluffy.
- Gradually add one cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks, beating with a wire whisk on low speed..
- Gradually whisk the egg yolk, sugar and milk mixture back into the remaining milk in the saucepan.
- Cook and stir on medium-low heat for 3 – 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not rush this stage or your mixture could curdle.
- Strain into a large bowl. Pour into a container and allow to cool. Add bourbon, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight or until well chilled. Best if allowed to meld for 2-3 days but can be served immediately.
- Fill lowball glasses with ice, pour bourbon eggnog mixture over ice and dust with nutmeg.
If wanting to serve without the bourbon; simply follow the directions as given and omit the liquor.