Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/homemade-hamburger-buns/
© 2016 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
For the Dough
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (Red Star's website calls for regular milk so that's fine too but I had some buttermilk I wanted to use up)
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP oil
- 3 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
For the Glaze
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine yeast, 1 cup of the flour, salt and sugar. In a microwave-safe bowl/cup, heat water and milk to 120° to 130°F.
- Combine the dry mixture with the milk, water and oil in a mixing bowl with paddle or beaters and beat for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add egg; beat 1 minute.
- Gradually add the remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough has doubled. Check at 60 minutes and continue checking every 30 minutes until doubled. For me it took almost 2 hours but I'm at altitude so nothing is the same!
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place on 2 large greased baking pans or use parchment paper. Flatten each ball to a 4-inch diameter, allowing one inch between buns. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching, about 20-30 minutes.
- For glaze, whisk together egg and water and brush on rolls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from baking pan and let cool completely on wire rack before slicing
Prep time does not include the time for the bread to rise; plan on up to 2 hours for that portion of the recipe.
For variations on how to make by hand and in a bread machine please visit http://redstaryeast.com/burger-buns/