Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/homemade-guinness-irish-stout-ketchup-recipe/
© 2016 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Homemade Irish Stout Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp whole grain mustard, divided
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- One Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- One Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- One Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 16oz can chopped tomatoes (or 16 oz of fresh tomatoes, in season, with juices)
- 3/4 cup Guinness Stout Beer
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the chopped onions and saute them until they soften and become translucent.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients; setting aside 1 Tablespoon of the whole grain mustard, and bring to a boil; simmer for about an hour until thickened to a jam consistency; longer if necessary. Either use an immersion or countertop blender and blend until just slightly chunky and thick.
- Add the additional tablespoon of whole grain mustard and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before pouring into a container.
- Refrigerate. Use within a couple of weeks.