Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/homemade-chocolate-liqueur/
© 2012 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Scharffen Berger Chocolate Liqueur and a Valentine Martini
Make your own chocolate liqueur and then make this cocktail for someone you love!
For the liqueur
- 1/4 cup unsweetened good cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vodka
For the Martini (Makes One Cocktail)
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1.5 oz finished chocolate liqueur
- Whipped cream for topping
- Shaved chocolate for garnish
To Make the Liqueur:
- In a bowl, dissolve the cocoa powder in boiling water.
- In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add sugar syrup to cocoa syrup. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a jar with a lid. Add the vodka, cover and refrigerate for one week.
- To serve, stir well and strain again through a fine-mesh sieve.
To Make the Martini:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the vodka and chocolate liqueur. Shake vigorously 5-6 times minimum until the container is ice cold. Strain and pour into a martini glass.
- Top with lightly-sweetened whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.