Although Guinness is often the beer of choice for St. Paddy’s day; don’t let that stop you from having this Guinness Vanilla Malted Milkshake with Irish Whiskey Whipped Cream all year round. It is too good for words!
Last week I shared these Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes with Irish Whiskey Frosting, they were such a hit that I decided another Guinness inspired treat for this coming St. Patrick’s Day was in order. Have you ever had an ice cream drink with Guinness? I know, I know, it sounds weird but you have to trust me, they are surprisingly delicious.
A couple of years ago I made this Guinness Float with Irish Cream Liqueur and I sort of remember there was some guzzling involved. This year I wanted to try something similar but with vanilla ice cream for the base and Irish Whiskey added to the mix. Oh. My. Forget St. Patrick’s Day, this deserves to be recognized all year long! The malt characteristic is evident but no, this does not really taste like a beer, it just tastes divine!
I also mentioned last week that Guinness was the only beer I really enjoyed. I pretty much hated all of them until I went to a beer tasting several years ago at Fado’s Irish Pub in downtown Denver. I was asked if I would like to join them with several of my blogging buddies and they treated us like royalty! The menu paired each part of the meal with a different beer and while I learned a lot and did enjoy all of the offerings, the one that I LOVED was the steak pie paired with Guinness. I had never had a beer before that I really enjoyed until then.
A bit of time discovering characteristics and maybe that’s telling. With both chocolate and caramel notes; it was meant to be something I enjoyed. So I keep those in mind when I’m adding Guinness to my cooking and other culinary creations. This milkshake combines both of those flavors with vanilla ice cream and a hint of chocolate malt powder and it was so good I had a moment of regretting that phone call to my neighbor Kevin offering him one of these. Just a moment though…I do love to share with my friends on the street and one was plenty; in fact it was dinner. 🙂
As for those gorgeous glasses? I was recently asked if I would like to try a cocktail using a pair of these Toast glass cuffs in a post. I get bombarded with asks like this but these cuffs looked interesting so I took a peek and just loved them. They are a great insulator for both hot and cold drinks but for me; it’s all about the pretty…and pretty they are! I had actually expected to make my latest idea for a Moscow Mule to showcase them but when I realized the volume was a bit much for that cocktail I had to waylay that plan. It didn’t take much for me to segue to this milkshake. So perfect.
The pint glasses come wrapped in luxurious, hand-stitched real leather. These beauties are made to be used and appreciated every day. I had the option of having mine engraved but felt certain that ‘Booze Queen’ would get old fast so I kept mine plain…but there is nothing plain about them.
These classy cuffs would make a thoughtful gift for craft beer lovers, hip chicks, brewers, babes, uncles, besties, ramblers, gamblers, happy campers, and anyone who wants to beverage in style. To make your gifting even easier, the company has included a fun little check-the-box gift card that covers all your bases, from “Nice job gettin’ hitched” to “Sorry about that dumb-ass stunt”. Don’t be like me…you can get them with an inscription or logo too!
They’re available in 10 incredible, saturated colors of real leather and fit a glass that holds a full pint so I envision you’ll see these again with a fruity summer beverage! I loved the copper but have my eye on some others too; I’m hooked!
If you, like everyone else who has asked, are interested in those straws too, they are Stainless Straws and I do love them. No more straw waste and they look so cool. Inexpensive too. You can sip this amazing drink while you’re saving the planet. Perfect hmm? In the words of the Irish, sláinte!
Guinness Vanilla Malted Milkshake with Irish Whiskey Whipped Cream
For the Irish Whiskey Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream (1/2 pint)
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp Irish Whiskey
For the Guinness Vanilla Malted Milkshake:
- 1 bottle of Guinness® Draught beer, chilled
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 Tbsp Chocolate Malt Powder (optional; I used Ovaltine)
- 1 oz Irish Whiskey
For the Garnish:
- Caramel Sauce (warmed and pourable)
- Chocolate covered malted milk balls, chopped
To Make the Irish Cream Whipped Cream:
- Chill your beaters and bowl for the whipping cream at least five minutes. Add the cream to the bowl and whip until it starts to bubble, add the powdered sugar and whip until it starts to firm up.
- Add the Irish Whiskey and whip until you have stiff peaks. Store in the refrigerator covered; can be prepared ahead of time and kept until ready to use.
To Make the Guinness Vanilla Malted Milkshake
- Combine the bottle of chilled Guinness, vanilla ice cream, Irish Whiskey, and chocolate malt powder in a blender. Top with the lid and make sure it's tightly in place. (I have a Blendtec Blender and used the milkshake cycle). Blend on high until everything is combined and smooth.
- Divide between two large glasses, leaving enough space at the top for whipped cream. Spoon or pipe the Irish Cream Whipped Cream on top of the shake.
- Garnish the shake with a drizzle of warmed caramel sauce and a small handful of the chopped malted milk balls.