Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/grilled-caesar-salad-homemade-croutons/
© 2014 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Grilled Caesar Salad with Homemade Croutons
When I'm juicing just one half of a lemon; I simply use a fork. Puncture the membranes with your fork and give a little twist; the juice will run out. Give a quick squeeze of the lemon when done too and there ya go!
For the Croutons
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder ( use more or less depending on your tastt)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups French bread slices cut up into 1/2 inch cubes
For the Salad Dressing
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 anchovies
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1/2 cup olive oil
For the Romaine Grilling
- 2 medium heads of romaine lettuce -- outer leaves removed and cut in half; do NOT remove the stem end; that keeps it held together on the grill.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
To Prepare the Salad
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
To Make the Croutons
- Combine the garlic powder, melted butter, olive oil and salt in a large bowl. Mix until blended; add the bread cubes and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread the bread cubes onto a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until the bread is golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the Salad Dressing
- Bring a small pot of boiling water to boil, add the egg and cook for just 60 seconds EXACTLY. Remove the egg from the water and place it in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process and cool the egg.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper, anchovies, mustard and capers in a blender or food processor; crack the egg and add it to the other ingredients and mix well. While blending, pour the olive oil into either the blender or processor in a slow stream until thoroughly combined and thickened.
- Brush the Romaine lettuce lightly with olive oil; place on a hot grill and grill on both sides for approximately 2 minutes each side. Remove from grill to a plate and allow to cool.
- Pour half of the dressing into a large bowl.
- Cut the romaine lettuce into 1 inch pieces and add them to the bowl ; mix until the leaves are all coated.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and croutons, toss and serve on chilled plates.
- Pass the remaining dressing for individuals to add more if they choose. Or save it for yourself for later.