Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/garlic-jack-scalloped-potatoes/
© 2018 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Garlic Jack Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 4 pounds Red potatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds (no need to peel)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the flour until it is evenly combined and saute for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the stock to the pan and whisk until combined. Add the milk, half and half, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme leaves, and whisk until combined. Continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until the sauce comes to a simmer (do not boil) and thickens; remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Top the potatoes with half of the cream sauce, the sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the grated garlic jack cheese, and all of the Parmesan cheese. Top with the remaining sliced potatoes, cream sauce, and 1/2 cup of garlic jack cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 25-30 additional minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves. Serve warm.
Assuming that finding a block of cheese included in a Harry & David gift basket would be unduly difficult; I've modified this recipe to include additional garlic and some parsley which was one of their ingredients. Should you happen to find some and want to use it then reduce the garlic to 4 cloves and eliminate the parsley in the ingredients list.