Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/fresh-peach-pie-brown-sugar-walnut-crumble/
© 2014 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Fresh Peach Pie featuring Palisades Peaches
1 hr 10 mins
For the Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tbsp cold butter (1/2 cup), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 Tbsp cold lard, (1/2 cup) separated into several chunks
- 6-8 Tbsp ice water
For the Crumble Topping
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C light brown sugar
- 3/4 C sifted flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 C butter
- 3/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
For the Pie Filling
- 6 cups peaches (adjust for size of pan)
- 1/4-1/2 cups sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
- small pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
To Make the Pie Crust (Makes two; refrigerate or freeze the 2nd one for another use):
- Mix flour and salt in food processor fitted with metal blade.
- Cut in butter cubes with five 1-second pulses. Add cold lard and continue cutting in until flour resembles coarse cornmeal with butter bits no bigger than small peas, about 4 additional 1-second pulses. Turn mixture out into a medium-sized bowl.
- Use your fingers to quickly sift through the mixture and if you find any really large chunks, just massage with some flour with your fingers to break it up.
- Sprinkle 3 Tbsp of ice water over mixture. With a fork, fluff to mix thoroughly. Squeeze a handful of dough — if it doesn’t stick together, add two more tablespoons of water and repeat. Continue adding 1 tablespoon at a time until a quick squeeze of the dough shows it is sticking together.
- Divide dough into two and then flatten into 6-inch discs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling. I had better success using a pastry cloth than trying to roll it on my granite top but in either case, make sure you sprinkle counter/cloth with flour and flour your rolling pin.
To Make the Crumble Topping:
- Put everything into a bowl and mix with a pastry blender or use a food processor. Do not over-process; it should have some pea sized pieces.
To Make the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Put first seven ingredients in a big bowl and mix until the fruit looks like it is coated with coarse wet sand.
- Place pastry in pie plate.
- Sprinkle crumble topping over pie filling; you will have some extra. Use it to sprinkle over piecrust scraps and bake for 12 minutes.
- Put pie in oven on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F.
- Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 35 minutes more.
Recipe adapted from Kate McDermott's 'Frog Hollow Peach Pie'