Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/fresh-cherry-sidecar/
© 2012 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
This cocktail is filled with the flavor is fresh cherries and is just gorgeous to boot!
For the Cherry Brandy
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved. Save some pits for the infusion.
- 1 pint bottle brandy
For the Cherry Syrup
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
For the Cocktail
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
- Sugar for the rim
- Fresh lime slices and maraschino cherries for garnish
To Make the Cherry Brandy:
- Combine the pitted and halved cherries and the brandy in a container. Several recipes I read for making the cherry liqueur indicate adding some of the pits as well so I put in a couple of tablespoons of them too.
- Cover and keep in a cool place for at least 5 days.
To Make the Cherry Syrup:
- Combine the cherries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the syrup through a strainer and remove the solids. Put into a container and store in the refrigerator.
To Make the Cocktail:
- Rub the rim of your glass with a lime slice and dip it into sugar. Put the glasses into the refrigerator or freezer to chill.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and for each cocktail add 1 & 1/2 oz of the cherry brandy, 1/2 oz of the cherry syrup and 1/2 oz of freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Shake vigorously 10-15 times.
- Fill the chilled glasses with ice and pour the cocktail into the glass.
- Garnish with a lime slice and maraschino cherry.
Prep time includes the time to pit the cherries. I use a cherry pitter; it still takes some time but does make much quicker work of the process.