Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/fresh-blueberry-lemon-cream-pie/
© 2017 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Fresh Blueberry and Lemon Cream Pie
For the Lemon Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
For the Blueberry Filling
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- lemon slices (optional)
Make the Lemon Filling
- Use a double boiler or place a heatproof bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water to create one.
- In a mixer, beat the eggs until thick and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly add the sugar, then the lemon juice and lemon zest. Scrape the mixture into the top of your double boiler and stir constantly until it forms a thick custard; 6-8 minutes. The custard should coat the back of a spoon; you will know it's done when you pull your finger through the custard on the spoon and the indentation will remain. Remove the top of your double boiler from the water and let cool to almost room temperature.
- Rinse your mixing bowl and dry. Add the cream cheese, beating on medium high speed until it is completely soft and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium and gradually add the cooled lemon custard to the cream cheese, beating until smooth and fully combined so that no white streaks remain. Pour the cream cheese into the baked pastry shell. Refrigerate the pie for two hours.
Make the Blueberry Filling
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Add 3 cups blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat. Add butter, lemon juice and remaining berries; stir until butter is melted. Cool.
- Remove the pies with lemon cream filling from the refrigerator and gently spoon the blueberry filling over the lemon cream filling that has been chilling for two hours. Chill for at least 2 more hours or overnight.
Prepare the whipped cream (No more than four hours before serving)
- In large mixing bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment over medium speed. When it starts to thicken, add the powdered sugar and vanilla, increase the mixer speed to high, and continue to beat until soft peaks form. (Do not over beat).
- Dollop on top of the pie or use decorating tips and top the whipped cream with lemon slices and/or lemon zest.