Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/french-laundry-salad-mustard-vinaigrette/
© 2017 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
French Laundry Garden Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
For the Dressing
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
For the Salad
- 12 breakfast radishes
- 12 ounces radicchio, leaves torn into large pieces
- 8 ounces small tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small red endive, leaves separated
- 5 ounces baby zucchini, halved
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved if large
- 3 ounces baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 thin asparagus spears, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 ounce baby arugula (2 cups)
- Kosher salt
- Mixed herbs, such as basil and chervil, for garnish
Make the vinaigrette
- In a food processor, combine the first 5 ingredients with
2 tablespoons of water.
- With the machine on, drizzle in both oils until incorporated. For a thinner vinaigrette, stir in another 1 to 2 tablespoons of water. Season with salt and pepper.
Make the salad
- In a bowl, toss all of the ingredients except the herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette.
- Garnish with herbs and serve with more dressing on the side; reserve the remaining dressing for another salad.
If you prefer, you can eliminate the raw egg or substitute it with a pasteurized egg product.
Since this does have raw egg, the shelf life is short. The vinegar and salt will offer some preservation but this dressing should be used within 5-7 days after making.