I’ve had this recipe for Faux Cinnabon Rolls for years and don’t recall where it came from but there was a Cinnabon in a nearby shopping mall and some friends and I wanted to try our hand at home to create something similar so we made a batch of them and they are terrific! It probably came from a magazine or newspaper article…you know, back in the ‘olden’ days.
The family thinks they are just as good…maybe even better!
Faux Cinnabon Rolls
For the dough
- 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
For the Filling
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
For the Icing
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer although typically it is to combine the wet ingredients in the bottom, add the dry ingredients except for yeast on top of wet ingredients and then put the yeast on top of the dry ingredients. Select dough cycle; press Start.
- Once the dough is completed in the machine, let it double in size and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle.
For the filling:
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread dough with 1/3 cup melted butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.