Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/crispy-coconut-shrimp/
© 2017 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Crispy Coconut Shrimp with Curry
- 1 cup sweetened coconut, grated
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 lb raw shrimp peeled with tails on
- Oil for frying - I used canola oil flavored with 2 Tbsp of butter; butter is optional
- Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce (I used Mae Ploy; but it's also optional)
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and place the grated coconut on it in single layer.
- Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven for five minutes, remove from the oven and stir them around and bake for up to five more minutes until they are a very light golden color and completely dry (watch carefully). Remove from oven and let cool.
- Mix the cooled coconut with the panko in a shallow bowl.
- Mix the flour, curry powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another shallow bowl.
- Beat the eggs and water together in a third bowl.
- Add about 1/2 inch of oil, along with the butter if using, to a large heavy bottomed pan such as a cast iron skillet and heat until rippling.
- Set up a dipping station with the three bowls in this order; first the flour, then the eggs and last the panko and coconut mixture.
- Hold the shrimp by the tail and dip it in the order of the bowls; first flour, shaking off excess, then eggs, then the coconut/panko combination (yes I make sure to pile it on!).
- Fry the shrimp in small batches, about 2-3 minutes per side, being careful to not crowd the pan.
- Cover a plate with paper towels; remove the shrimp from the pan with tongs and let drain on the paper towels. Let cool for a minute and then serve warm.
Use large shrimp for this recipe!