Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/cream-cheese-stuffed-french-toast-with-pomegranate/
© 2013 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast with Pomegranate
For the French Toast
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Butter for frying
- 4 slices of day old bread; for this I sliced a Challah loaf but I use French bread and in a pinch, my regular sandwich bread.
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2-4 Tbsp of milk or half and half
- 3 Tbsp of powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
To assemble the French Toast
- Powdered sugar
- 1 pomegranate, arils removed
- Pomegranate (Grenadine) syrup
To Make the French Toast:
- Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together and beat until combined (I use my immersion blender in a tall jar).
- Melt a dab of butter in a large skillet over medium heat; don't be stingy with the butter!
- Pour the French Toast mixture onto a large flat plate with a rim to contain it. Soak each slice on each side in the mixture and then place them in the sizzling butter.
- Cook on medium for a minute or two depending on your stove until nicely browned.
- Add some additional butter to your skillet and brown the other side.
- Continue until all of the slices are finished; keep warm in a 200 degree oven if necessary, covered with foil.
To make the cream cheese filling:
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth; add 2 Tbsp milk and sugar alternately until thoroughly combined.
- Add the vanilla and beat until smooth; add more milk if necessary to get a spreadable consistency.
To Assemble the stuffed French Toast:
- Spread a thick smear of cream cheese on one slice of toast.
- Top with second slice; sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Garnish generously with pomegranate arils and drizzle the outside edges with pomegranate syrup.