Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/coleslaw-warm-bacon-dressing/
© 2015 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Coleslaw with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Equivalent of 1 large head of cabbage; we actually did a half of regular and a half of purple (I used the rest when I made it a 2nd time for..tada...ME!)
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp Ancho Chili Powder (optional...or to taste)
- 1 tsp celery seed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice cabbage into 1/4-1/2" strips. We used 6mm blade on the Cuisinart. Put into bowl.
- Cut bacon into pieces and put into a large pot. Cook until fat has rendered and the bacon is starting to crisp up.
- Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and saute until onions are soft but not caramelized, approximately 3 more minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, mustard, chili powder, celery seed, salt and pepper to pan and mix well. Add cabbage, toss well and cook for 5-7 minutes til desired tenderness. I like mine with just a bit of crunch, but you can cook it until it suits your taste.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve warm or room temperature.