Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/chocolate-mascarpone-brownies-with-chocolate-ganache/
© 2007 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies
For the Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs, at room-temperature (take out of fridge 30 minutes before preparing)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup, chopped walnuts (toast walnuts first)
For the Ganache
- 6 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
To Make the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 325°F - Butter a 8 or 9 inch square cake pan.
- Put chopped chocolate into a mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and bring it to just below a boil; pour the hot butter over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Sift in the sugar and cocoa powder. With a wooden spoon, beat in the mascarpone, eggs and vanilla, mixing until smooth.
- Gently fold the flour and salt into the batter until just mixed. Add the walnuts and stir in. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Place into preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool completely before adding the ganache.
To Make the Ganache:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium mixing bowl and set aside. Bring the cream and butter to just below boiling point in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir the mixture.
- Spread over cooled brownies while ganache is warm. Cut the brownies after the topping has cooled and hardened.
- Alternative: I added some espresso powder to both the brownies and the ganache but didn't measure but probably about a Tablespoon for each; a nice addition but not necessary if you don't like coffee flavor although it is subtle.