Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/chicken-with-mushrooms-rice-and-a-marsala-cream-sauce/
© 2010 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Chicken with Mushrooms, Rice and a Marsala Cream Sauce
1 hr 5 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 8-12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 to 1 cup marsala wine, sherry or white wine
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 - 4 cups coarsely chopped chicken (or turkey); I had a leftover rotisserie chicken from Costco but would make the same dish with white, dark or any combination of cooked chicken
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until just melted. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until they have started to caramelize and brown.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until just softened (I only cook them about 3-4 minutes; knowing they will continue to cook in the oven and I don't like my mushrooms mushy!)
- Sprinkle the flour into the mixture, stir and cook for1 minute. Add the wine, half and half and milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in 2 cups water and the rice.
- Grease a large casserole dish and spread the chicken on the bottom. Pour the mushroom and rice mixture over the chicken; made sure the rice is evenly distributed in the dish and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake until bubbly, about 35 minutes.
- Combine the bread crumbs and the Parmesan cheese; sprinkle on top and bake for 5 minutes more.
I love served with a green vegetable and a simple salad.