Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/chicken-with-mashed-potatoes-and-cheese-sauce/
© 2011 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Chicken with Potatoes and Cheese Sauce
1 hr, 30
Smoked Chicken is served over smashed potatoes and finished with a beer/cheese sauce.
- 3 pounds of boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 5 Tbsp butter, divided
- 2 fat slices of onion, diced
- 2 lbs red baby potatoes
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup beer
- 1 cup light cream or milk, divided
- Chives for garnish
- If using boneless chicken thighs, mold them into shape of whole thigh and skewer them to hold together..
- Mix 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1/8 tsp paprika. Season both sides of chicken and either smoke or grill meat. I smoked them at 250 degrees for an hour and they were perfect.
- Melt 1 Tbsp of butter in small saucepan and saute chopped onions until just starting to turn brown.
- In the meantime, boil the potatoes until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain off water and return to pan. Do not peel!
- Mash potatoes coarsely and add caramelized onions, 1/2 cup of milk, 3 Tbsp of butter and 1/2 tsp of salt and mix thoroughly but gently until combined. Keep warm.
- In saucepan, melt remaining 2 Tbsp of butter. Add flour and cook until butter and flour mixture just starts to turn brown.
- Add 1/2 cup each of milk and beer to flour mixture and stir til thickened.
- Add cheese to mixture and stir over low heat until melted and smooth.
- To serve, put a large spoonful of mashed potatoes on plate, top with a chicken thigh and drizzle each thigh with some of the beer/cheese sauce. Garnish with chopped chives.